What exactly did I just agree to?

One of the major advantages of my version of HIIT (or “HIIRT” as I like to call it) is something that most wouldn’t necessarily consider an advantage: the ability to stay within striking distance of just about any sport I might want to concentrate on in the future.

I’ve had to become a hell of a lot smarter in my training over the years. Mostly due to the time constraints entrepreneurship and travel impose upon me. 

Truth be told, if I could wave a magic wand, I’d make it so that I could spend 2 hours in a gym every day. That’s pretty much how I lived from the time I was 12 until about 21. Yeah, I’m one of those guys who just loves the gym atmosphere. 

And even now, I’d enjoy spending 80% more time chasing that remaining 20% of strength, hypertrophy and “conditioning” that I leave on the table because I’ve made the conscious choice not to invest that time. Not now, at least. I have other things that are more important to me. That 16 hours a day (I won’t budge on sleep) has to get prioritized appropriately.

And so my time/cost evaluations have pushed me to create my own version of wave and weave + HIIRT system. It works great and I’m happy with it. And, too, I know that if I do find a sport in which I want to invest a bit more time, I can easily transition into the appropriate training.  Wave and weave + HIIRT create one hell of a foundation for that.

Enter the Central Oregon 500.

5 days, 500 miles of cycling 

Yeah, a century each day. About 7 hours a day in the saddle. With more climbs than you can shake a fist full of spokes at.

Obviously a different game than what I’ve been playing.  But here’s the thing: although I suffered mightily because I lacked the sport specificity training – just being in the saddle that long each day is a skill – at least I was able to participate. And establish over that week a cycling endurance foundation from which to build upon if I choose to do so.

Which is exactly what I’ve decided to do.

I really enjoy this sport. Even though I’m hardly built for it. But whatever – I dig all manner of cycling and the community and camaraderie of this particular endeavor is especially appealing.

So we’ll see how it goes.

Training tweaks
So if you follow the TTP Facebook page, you’ll begin to see a lot more longer-duration, road-bike-specific training sessions woven into the mix. That will, of course, displace some of the HIIRT sessions. 

BUT… I’ll still have to be mindful of time. So that added endurance work will have to be accomplished with some modicum of 80/20 sensibility.

I can’t say that I have that plan figured out yet, but I do have an overview in my mind.  As my training has been for my entire life, it will be “Five T’d” and tweaked as I go along.

I’m excited to dive into this new chapter.

Heal thyself, harden thyself, change the world –
Keith

Just take the assessment #JTTA
Previous articleNavigating Upwind
Next articleHIIT vs Endurance – the mental game
Keith Norris is a former standout athlete, a military vet, and an elite strength and conditioning expert with over 35 years of in-the-trenches experience. As a serial entrepreneur in the health and wellness space, he is an owner, co-founder and Chief Development Officer of the largest Paleo conference in the world, Paleo f(x) . As well, Keith is a partner in one of the most innovative lines of boutique training studios in the nation, Efficient Exercise. He’s also a partner in ARXFit training equipment, and a founding member of ID Life. In his spare time, he authors one of the top fitness blogs in the health and wellness sphere, Theory To Practice.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.